Monologue Contest – Middle School
Any Massachusetts student in grades 5 – 9 is eligible for the Monologue Contest.
The rules are simple:
- Students may perform one piece that is one to two minutes in length.
- Monologue choice must be approved by the applicant’s drama teacher/advisor.
- The audition should be introduced in the following manner:
“My name is (state name). My piece is from (title of play) by (author). I play the part of (character) “
- When the two-minute limit is reached, time will be called. The contestant must leave the stage and return to his or her seat.
- No live or recorded accompaniment or sound effects are allowed.
- Before each audition, the contestant will be allowed to set the stage; one straight‐backed chair and one small table will be provided. No additional set pieces will be permitted.
- Costumes and props are NOT permitted. Contestants should wear simple clothing that allows for ease of movement. No special lighting will be available.
- Performances will be evaluated by two adjudicators independently using the METG Monologue Contest rubric.
- Students with the highest scores will be recognized at the METG Night of the Stars Award Ceremony in the Spring and the student with the highest score will receive a cash prize.
Application Deadline: January 5, 2018
Contest Fee: $10 per student from an METG member school; $15 for non-member
Contest Judging Day: Saturday, January 20 at Stony Brook School in Westford (Snow Date: Sunday, January 21)
To download contest information, click here: Contest Information
For the Online Application, click here: Contest Application