Monologue Contest – Middle School
The 2018 Contest is now history. It was held on January 20, 2018. To see the list of winners, click on this link.
Calling all middle school student actors! The METG invites any Massachusetts student in grades 5 – 9 to enter the new Monologue Contest this year.
Any Massachusetts student in grades 5 – 9 is eligible for the Monologue Contest.
The rules are simple:
- Students may perform one piece that is one to two minutes in length.
- Monologues must come from a previously-published PLAY. Monologues from movies, books, speeches, short stories, poetry and all other literary forms are not permitted.
- Monologue choice must be approved by the applicant’s drama teacher/advisor.
- The audition should be introduced in the following manner:
“My name is (state name). My piece is from (title of play) by (author). I play the part of (character) “
- When the two-minute limit is reached, time will be called. The contestant must leave the stage and return to his or her seat.
- No live or recorded accompaniment or sound effects are allowed.
- Before each audition, the contestant will be allowed to set the stage; one straight‐backed chair and one small table will be provided. No additional set pieces will be permitted.
- Costumes and props are NOT permitted. Contestants should wear simple clothing that allows for ease of movement. No special lighting will be available.
- Performances will be evaluated by two adjudicators independently using the METG Monologue Contest rubric.
- Students with the highest scores will be recognized at the METG Night of the Stars Award Ceremony in the Spring and the student with the highest score will receive a cash prize.
Application Deadline: January 9 2018 (EXTENDED DUE TO SNOW DAYS)
Contest Fee: $10 per student from an METG member school; $15 for non-member
Contest Judging Day: Saturday, January 20 at Stony Brook School in Westford (Snow Date: Sunday, January 21)
To download contest information, click here: Contest Information
For the Online Application, click here: Contest Application