Costume Design Contest – Middle School
Calling all student costumers! The METG invites any Massachusetts student in grades 5 – 9 to submit a series of original costume designs for this year’s contest.
Any Massachusetts student in grades 5 – 9 is eligible for the design contest.
The rules are simple:
- The applicant’s design concept must be original and its rendering must be exclusively his or her own work.
- Designs are to be illustrated on 11”x 17” paper in color using the medium of your choice.
- Submit one costume design for each of two (2) separate characters that appear in one scene or act of a play/musical of your choice.
- Designs may include a clear overlay to show a coat or outerwear.
- Designs must be approved by the applicant’s drama teacher/advisor.
- Actual fabric swatches that would be used in the making of the costume may be included to better explain your design.
- Designer should be able to clearly explain choices including the design and color used for the particular scene.
- Designs will be evaluated by two adjudicators independently using the Costume Design Contest rubric which is linked below.
- The students with the highest scores will be recognized at the METG Night of the Stars Award Ceremony in the Spring and the student with the highest score will receive a cash prize.
Suggested Productions (You may choose one of these or choose any other play/musical):
Midsummer Night’s Dream
The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe
The Lion King
Application Deadline: January 5, 2018
Fee: $10 per student from METG member school; $15 for non-member
Contest Judging Day: Saturday, January 20 at Stony Brook School in Westford (Snow Date: Sunday, January 21)
Costume Design Contest Information and Rubric: Costume Design Letter and Rubric 2017
Contest ONLINE Application:CLICK HERE