Costume Design Contest – Middle School
The 2018 Costume Design Contest is now history. To view the list of winners, click on this link.
Calling all student costumers! The METG invites any Massachusetts student in grades 5 – 9 to submit a series of original costume designs for this year’s contest.
Any Massachusetts student in grades 5 – 9 is eligible for the design contest.
The rules are simple:
DUE TO SNOW DAYS, DEADLINE FOR APPLICATION HAS BEEN EXTENDED TO TUESDAY, JANUARY 9.
- The applicant’s design concept must be original and its rendering must be exclusively his or her own work.
- Designs are to be illustrated on 11”x 17” paper in color using the medium of your choice.
- Submit one costume design for each of two (2) separate characters that appear in one scene or act of a play/musical of your choice.
- Designs may include a clear overlay to show a coat or outerwear.
- Designs must be approved by the applicant’s drama teacher/advisor.
- Actual fabric swatches that would be used in the making of the costume may be included to better explain your design.
- Designer should be able to clearly explain choices including the design and color used for the particular scene.
- Designs will be evaluated by two adjudicators independently using the Costume Design Contest rubric which is linked below.
- The students with the highest scores will be recognized at the METG Night of the Stars Award Ceremony in the Spring and the student with the highest score will receive a cash prize.
Suggested Productions (You may choose one of these or choose any other play/musical):
Midsummer Night’s Dream
The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe
The Lion King
Application Deadline: January 9, 2018 (DEADLINE EXTENDED DUE TO SNOW DAYS)
Fee: $10 per student from METG member school; $15 for non-member
Contest Judging Day: Saturday, January 20 at Stony Brook School in Westford (Snow Date: Sunday, January 21)
Costume Design Contest Information and Rubric: Costume Design Letter and Rubric 2017
Contest ONLINE Application:CLICK HERE