Middle School Festival Overview
ALERT: IMPORTANT CHANGES AND DEADLINES FOR THE 2018 FESTIVAL
- The director (or other adult representative) from each school attending festival must attend the METG annual meeting on October 14 at Brockton High School.
- Membership applications and payments DUE by October 14th
- Festival Application Deadline – Friday JANUARY 5th (This includes titles unless it’s an original play)
- Host and new director meetings are on February 10 at Lynnfield Middle School.
- Site Organizational meetings are during the week before Saturday, March 10th. They will take place at the sites at which schools will perform. These meetings are required for all directors. Directors will be told which site their schools will be performing at by February 16.
- Middle School Logo Design Deadline (Must be postmarked by Friday, January 5)
The first Middle School Drama Festival in Massachusetts was held in the spring of 1995 at the Belmonte Middle School in Saugus. John Gould, drama coach at Belmonte, had wanted to institute a drama festival so students from across the state could share their productions with children from other schools. The festival started with a theatre workshop for all students, followed by a monologue showcase and concluding with performances by participating schools. For the first few years, the festival was held after school, but as interest grew, the festival was moved to Saturdays to allow for more participants. The Massachusetts Middle School Drama Festival, Inc. was formed to assist in the preparation and planning of the yearly event. During the 1998-1999 school year, the Massachusetts Middle School Drama Festival, Inc. and the Massachusetts High School Drama Guild, Inc. merged. With this merger, the middle school division has aligned more with the high school festival, offered workshops for middle school teachers and students and has begun the process of instituting a networking resource for directors.
Participation in the annual one day drama festival provides your students with the unique opportunity to share their work with other member schools. Professional adjudicators evaluate your students’ work and present awards for both acting and technical excellence in your production.
You MUST fill out a membership form before you enter, click on THIS LINK.
The click on this link for a Festival Entry Form…CLICK HERE.
For complete information on the Middle School Festival , click on THIS LINK.
THE DATES FOR THIS YEAR’S FESTIVAL ARE: (Two choices)
Saturday, April 28, 2018 (3-4 regional sites)
Sunday, April 29, 2018 (2 regional sites)